Happy November Mighty Band Families!
We are officially ? of the way through the 2019-2020 school year! This six weeks also lines up with a shift in the program from Marching Band zero hours into Concert & Symphonic Band zero hours. There is no zero hour for anyone this week, but all ensembles will have zero hour starting next week as follows:
1st Period Percussionists in Grade 9 – Wednesday & Friday 6:15-7:10am
6th Period Concert Band (Winds) – Wednesday & Friday 6:15-7:10am
These two groups of people combine to form our full Concert Band.
1st Period Percussionists in grades 10-12 – Tuesday & Thursday 6:15-7:10am
2nd Period Symphonic Winds – Tuesday & Thursdays 6:15-7:10am
These two groups of people combine to form our full Symphonic Band.
These zero hour rehearsals are absolutely required – there will be a grade attached to participation in this vital and absolutely necessary requirement of the band program. Please make arrangements now for 100% attendance. It is impossible for an ensemble to achieve success without these rehearsals, therefore, students who acquire more than 2 unexcused absences from zero hour rehearsals will not be able to perform with the full ensemble. There will be no way to recoup those performance points for the grade – there is no make-up assignment that can fill the void of full ensemble work and learning. Thank you for understanding and supporting a healthy band ensemble and the music making process. Please reference the attached band handbook for detailed information on the attendance policy and exactly what constitutes an ‘excused’ absence.
This is another busy week in the band world! Many of our band students are auditioning for NMMEA All-State this week, and many are assisting with these auditions on Wednesday and Thursday. Ms. Stott is serving her final year as the site host for these auditions (although they are actually held at the Albuquerque Youth Symphony Building 4407 Menaul Blvd. NE), and is DESPERATELY in need of more adult volunteers to serve as proctors for these auditions. If you are available for any of the times on the linked spreadsheet, please volunteer. Full day volunteers are provided lunch, and there is coffee and snacks for part-day volunteers. The auditions run from 7:30am-3:30pm on Wednesday 11/6, and from 7:30am-5:30pm on Thursday 11/7. The linked sign-up sheet can be accessed here: https://docs.google.com/
Unsure what you will be doing? Here is the link to the training video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
Thank you for considering this request!
We are wrapping up two fundraisers currently, Popcorn and Pretzel Rods. Please send in all money associated with these two fundraisers in a labeled envelope that must be deposited into the lockbox/safe in Ms. Stott’s office.
The Goodwill Fundraiser is this Saturday, November 9th at Jefferson Middle School. Boosters are in need of volunteers to help run this fundraiser, details on the spreadsheet linked here: https://docs.google.com/
Students are also needed to help hold signs!
In addition to volunteering, please bring your donated items to drop off! Ask your neighbors and bring theirs as well! We are literally getting paid to clean out our junk. Easy! Thank you!
Finally a few dates to make sure that you have on your calendars:
- November 5th – No School – Election Day
- November 9th – Goodwill Fundraiser 10am-2pm @ Jefferson Middle School
- November 11th – No School – Veteran’s Day
- November 13th – Booster Parent Meeting 6:30-7:30pm @ AHS Band Room
- November 16th – NMSU Jazz Jumpstart (Jazz Band/Orchestra to Las Cruces, NM)
- November 19th – Uptown Jazz Festival Concert at Highland High School (Jazz Band/Orchestra performing)
- November 22-24th – Honor Band @ Cibola High SChool
- Congratulations to: George Slad, Juliana Byrd, Danilo Bauvallet, Jacob Sussman, Nena Dorame, Tamara Motley, Gabe Appleton, Indigo Benton, Zach Biggerstaff, and Ian Campen on being selected for the 2019 District VII Honor Band.
- Everyone is invited to come to the Honor Band Concert on Sunday, November 24th at Cibola High School PAC at 3pm!
- December 6th – Barnes & Noble Fundraiser (Volunteers will be needed, students will play)
- December 7th AM – Monte Vista Mercado 10am-3pm (Volunteers will be needed, students will play)
- December 7th PM – Twinkle Light Parade (Volunteers will be needed, students will play)
- December 12th – Dress Rehearsal for Prism Concert @ First Presbyterian Church 3-7pm *REQUIRED for all 1st, 2nd, & 6th period band students*
- December 13th – PRISM CONCERT, 6pm @ First Presbyterian Church; 4pm Student Call Time
Basketball Pep Band Dates: TBD, will be sent out as soon as possible. Thank you!
Have a great week Bulldogs!